Vegetable Mushroom Curry
This Friday I've kept my kitchen activities to a minimum. Discovered that I only have 3 eggs left so that ruled out a lot of baking and, in fact, I ended up only making a fruit crumble. And I whipped up a quick curry sauce so just need to cook a pot of basmati rice for lunch tomorrow after church. Nice and simple.

A South African friend of Indian descent once told me the simple ingredients for a curry sauce.

- onions
- garlic
- milk of your choice (coconut for example)
- curry powder
- vegetables of your choice
- meat of your choice (or none at all)

Serve over cooked rice. Done! Ever since then I keep some coconut milk in my pantry so I can whip up a quick dinner. As usual I just threw in stuff that I found in the fridge that needed to be used up. I had 2 small crowns of fresh broccoli, 2 packages of mushrooms, a few cooked Yukon Gold potatoes. Bingo! I started with onion, peeled and cut up the potatoes, chopped up the broccoli, threw that into the pan. Then added 1 can chickpeas (rinsed, of course!), 2 cans of coconut milk, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic paste, curry powder & turmeric.
See that squishy bit in the middle of the pan? Yah - this wonderful product called "Chunky Garlic Paste"!!! 
The curry powder & turmeric

About THIS much red pepper flakes - use as much as you dare/want
Then I re-discovered the mushroom package on the counter where I was working (it was hiding under the plastic bag from the broccoli!). So I sliced those up quickly and dumped them in. See:


Let it simmer for 15 minutes or so just to get the mushrooms cooked up and flavours melded together. Done!

So quick & easy. Love it. Then I discovered I was nearly out of eggs so decided to make a crumble instead of cake. Checked this cookbook:

Add caption
Found a nice recipe for Spiced Apple Crumble


The recipe called for blackberries and although I have a small bag of them in the freezer decided I wasn't up to the seedy aspect of them so opted for frozen blueberries instead. Threw on a bit of coconut sugar and muscovado sugar, then made up the crumble part. Didn't get a pic of that. Sorry! But it smells and looks delicious.

That's lunch made.

I managed to get in a quick walk around Ellwood Park down the hill from our house - just so I could get a few pictures of the beautiful Silver Maples down there. So I shall leave you with a couple of pics from this morning's loop.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!!!




MR Heron 


Comments